The Association has a non-profit and international goal.
The association aims to analyse, design, develop and promote the transition towards agroecology-based farming and food systems.
The overall goal of the Association is to: support agroecological research, education and training; share and disseminate agroecological knowledge; promote agroecology in the farming and food sectors and in society.
Detailed objectives are to:
- stimulate exchanges and collaborations between scientists, advisers, farmers, food producers, consumers, other stakeholders and citizens in Europe;
- stimulate, coordinate and facilitate research, education and agricultural extension;
- disseminate all aspects related to agroecology and sustainable development of agricultural systems;
- disseminate agroecological initiatives, techniques and practices among interested stakeholders;
- develop international cooperations;
- engage in and facilitate debates to clarify the relationship between agroecology and other approaches such as organic farming, permaculture, biodynamic farming, climate smart agriculture, ecological and sustainable intensification;
- support farmers’ organizations working in agroecology;
- act as a think tank for facing present and future challenges of European agriculture;
- support governmental and non-governmental organizations for improving their capacities in agroecology;
- promote agroecology in society as a whole;
- create a community of professional agroecologists;
- liaise with similar regional, national and international associations and societies;
- foster interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary research approaches in agroecology.